Smart new face coverings help keep people safe and raise vital funds
Wales Tartan Centres have raised more than £2,500 for Age Cymru through the sale of face coverings newly designed to help keep people safe during Covid 19.
So far the firm, which specialises in linking surnames with tartan based products such as kilts (or ‘Cilts’ in Wales) and scarves, has sold more than 700 face coverings to customers across the world including the USA and Canada, with all the profits going to Age Cymru so they can continue supporting older people during the pandemic.
Since the start of the lockdown, each week, the charity has provided regular reassurance calls to more than 700 isolated older people throughout Wales, as well as help those contacting its Advice service about a wide range of issues.
It is also launching a ‘Friend in Need’ service to link older people living alone with a weekly call from a specially selected volunteer.
Age Cymru’s chief executive, Victoria Lloyd said: “This is such a wonderful gift from Wales Tartan Centres as not only will the face coverings help to keep us safe but the income raised will help us to reach out to older people across Wales during these difficult times to provide support and reassurance.”
Wales Tartan Centres’ Daniel Collins said: “These are extraordinary times so it made complete sense for us as a company to utilise our specialist skills to help those who may be struggling with the pandemic. At the same time, as we’re a company based very much on people wanting to link into their Welsh heritage, we wanted to work with a Welsh charity as we know that our customers would appreciate the fact that every penny raised through this initiative will be spent in Wales.”
Notes to Editors
- Age Cymru is the national charity for older people in Wales
- We are the force combining Age Concern Cymru and Help the Aged in Wales
- We work with local Age Cymru Partners across Wales to improve life for older people
- Age Cymru is a registered charity 1128436
5. Company limited by guarantee and registered by in England and Wales 6837284
6. Age Cymru is funded by donations from the public, corporate partners, our trading enterprises and the Welsh Government