A 51-year-old woman has been rushed to hospital after getting a chicken bone stuck in her bottom.
The unnamed individual from Kuwait, the Middle East, tended to swallow her food quickly rather than chewing because she has lost her upper teeth.
There was no choking or stomach pain after ingesting the two-inch long bone, but later it became wedged in her backside.
Doctors successfully removed the bone by applying gel to numb the area before applying slight force. The patient has been advised to chew her food.
A 51-year-old woman in Kuwait, Middle East, had to go to medics after a chicken bone became stuck in her bottom (Pictured, with the bone indicated by a yellow arrow)
The bone was about two inches long, the doctors said. It was removed using a gel and light force
The bone came from near a chicken’s ribcage (indicated above by the brown shading). It differs from a wishbone, which comes from near a chicken’s neck
The bizarre tale was revealed this week in the Cureus medical journal.
Doctors said it was the first known case of a chicken bone reaching the anus without causing complications.
The patient was not suffering from dementia, which was confirmed by her family.
But she did have a history of chronic constipation, about three times a week, internal piles and an anal fissure — or small tear in the anus.
It was suggested that this was likely because of her habit of swallowing food.
X-rays at the hospital revealed the V-shaped bone sticking out of her anus, which was about two inches long and an inch wide. The shorter part of the V was projecting outside of the anus.
The bone was identified as a xiphoid process, found in a chicken near the rib cage. It differs from the wishbone, or clavicle, which is near the neck.
Doctors warned that chicken bones, when swallowed, could cause cuts to the throat or puncture holes in the intestine, leaving patients in immediate need of care.
It comes after a 14-year-old teenager in Australia had to be treated in hospital after a tennis ball became stuck up his bottom.
The youngster panicked when he realized he could not retrieve it or push it out.
He admitted the blunder to his mother, who whisked him to the nearest emergency department.
Medics at the Royal Adelaide Hospital were told that it was not causing him any pain.
The boy confessed he had also tried unsuccessfully to expel the ball by defecating.
X-ray scans showed it had made its way to his sigmoid colon, the last part of the large intestine, which connects to the rectum.
Doctors tried to remove the golf ball using six different retrieval devices, including a suction cup, medical net, quad-prong grasper and a balloon catheter.
After two hours, medics gave up with ‘aggressive’ interventions, hoping the golf ball would come out on its own.
However, an X-ray performed 24 hours later showed it was still there.
With the family reluctant for the boy to undergo anymore physical removal attempts, doctors decided to trial administering a large quantity of laxatives.
The boy was given one litre of laxatives — resulting in the ‘successful evacuation’ of the golf ball three hours later.
‘Following passage of the golf ball, the patient remained clinically well and was discharged the same day,’ the researchers said.
‘There was no evidence of bowel injury.’
They added that the boy was ‘advised against inserting further objects into his rectum in the future’.
Doctors concluded: ‘A golf ball presents unique technical challenges when attempting to remove from the colon due to its mechanical properties.
‘These include its large size, spherical shape, incompressibility, and the presence of dimples, which prevents a suction seal.’