Perfect for Christmas or any other special meals over the festive period, this dish offers all the best bits of the classic turkey dinner but with half the effort to prepare.
Ideal if you’re not hosting a large gathering this year!
Serves: 6-8 Prep time: 15 mins Cooking time: 60 mins
- 1kg to 1.2kg British turkey fillet
- Butter, melted
- 12 to 16 rashers of dry-cure smoked, streaky bacon
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the stuffing
- 450g sausage meat
- 6 shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 4 sticks Fenland celery, diced
- 75g walnuts, chopped
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 free range egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to do
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 5. Butter a large roasting tin.
- Cut open the fillet and beat it with a wooden mallet until it is has increased in size by a third – be careful not to make any holes in the meat. Brush some of the melted butter over the turkey and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
- Make a long sausage shape with the stuffing mixture and place it in the middle of the turkey fillet, roll the turkey meat around to cover all the stuffing.
- Carefully wrap the streaky bacon around the rolled turkey fillet, tucking the ends underneath. With a spatula, lift it into the buttered roasting tin. Tuck any stray pieces of bacon underneath if necessary.
- Add 6 tablespoons of water and cover with tinfoil before roasting for 40 minutes per kilo plus 20 minutes, so a kilo will take one hour to cook. Remove the foil for the last 15 to 20 minutes of cooking to allow the bacon to crisp up.
- Allow to stand, loosely covered in tinfoil, for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into slices and serving with seasonal vegetables and potatoes. (The juices from the roasting tin can be made into gravy).
Recipe courtesy of Fenland Celery
Hello there! I’m Rachel and I’m the Assistant Editor for Silversurfers. I work behind the scenes to bring interesting, informative and entertaining subject matter to the Silversurfers community. I hope you enjoy the features we have shared with you. Please feel free to comment below and share your thoughts with us, we love to hear from you!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts);
be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or
contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or
promote sexually explicit material; or
promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or
infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or
be likely to deceive any person; or
be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or
promote any illegal activity; or
be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or
be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or
be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or
give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or
advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don’t tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others… let’s keep it friendly!