A MAJOR town centre bank in Penarth is closing its doors.
The Lloyds Bank in Windsor Road will close in February next year, Lloyds Banking Group has announced.
It is one of 48 Lloyds and Halifax branches across the county being closed, with the banking group blaming declining visits by customers.
The closure date for the Penarth branch is Wednesday, February 9, 2022.
The Unite union said the closure of 41 Lloyds Bank and seven Halifax branches will deny thousands of customers access to vital services and cash, and could lead to 178 job losses.
Vim Maru, retail director for Lloyds Banking Group, said: “Like many other businesses, we’ve seen people using our branches less frequently in recent years, and this decline is continuing.
“Our branches remain a fundamental part of how we serve our customers but we need to ensure the size of our branch network reflects the number of customers wanting to use them.”
Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “The announcement by Lloyds Banking Group of closing a further 48 bank branches is a complete betrayal of the communities and staff who have long supported this highly profitable business.
“This sector needs to start taking their corporate social responsibilities seriously and stop neglecting their obligations to their customers and workforce.
“Banks are leaving people behind in the rush to close bank branches and force consumers to go cashless to boost their mega-profits. It’s a classic example of putting profits before people.”
Unite said it believes the banking industry should have a legal commitment to protect access to cash and bank branches.
The announcement will cut the number of Lloyds Banking Group branches to 1,475, the union added.
The branches announced for closure, and the dates they will close, are:
- Lloyds Amesbury 28/02/2022
- Lloyds Atherton 02/03/2022
- Lloyds Attleborough 16/03/2022
- Lloyds Balham 22/02/2022
- Lloyds Berkhamsted 09/03/2022
- Lloyds Birmingham Cotteridge 02/03/2022
- Lloyds Birmingham Springfield 16/02/2022
- Halifax Bristol Whiteladies 01/02/2022
- Lloyds Brockworth 07/03/2022
- Lloyds Cambridge Cattle Market 24/02/2022
- Halifax Christchurch 01/02/2022
- Lloyds Coleford 15/03/2022
- Halifax Consett 03/03/2022
- Lloyds Crewkerne 07/03/2022
- Lloyds Darwen 08/02/2022
- Lloyds Dorking 17/03/2022
- Lloyds Earlestown 10/03/2022
- Halifax East Grinstead 14/03/2022
- Lloyds Garston 03/02/2022
- Lloyds Great Bridge 17/02/2022
- Lloyds Harpenden 23/02/2022
- Lloyds Hatfield 01/03/2022
- Lloyds Hull Holderness Rd 10/02/2022
- Lloyds Kings Cross 03/02/2022
- Lloyds Kirkby-in-Ashfield 07/02/2022
- Lloyds Leagrave 15/02/2022
- Lloyds Leatherhead 15/03/2022
- Lloyds Maldon 15/02/2022
- Lloyds Melksham 15/02/2022
- Lloyds Muswell Hill 31/01/2022
- Lloyds New Malden 14/02/2022
- Lloyds Oxted 07/03/2022
- Lloyds Penarth 09/02/2022
- Lloyds Ponteland 08/02/2022
- Halifax Portsmouth North End 22/02/2022
- Lloyds Portsmouth North End 21/02/2022
- Lloyds Prescot 28/02/2022
- Lloyds Runcorn 01/03/2022
- Lloyds Seaford 17/03/2022
- Halifax Sevenoaks 24/02/2022
- Lloyds South Kensington 31/01/2022
- Lloyds Southampton Hythe 07/02/2022
- Lloyds St Marys Isle of Scilly 25/04/2022
- Lloyds Sydenham 21/02/2022
- Halifax Tewkesbury 02/02/2022
- Lloyds Tutbury 14/03/2022
- Lloyds Windsor 08/03/2022
- Lloyds Worthing George V Ave 02/02/2022