Health and Social Care Group: Vale50Plus Forum: Report of meeting on 11th January, 2023.
This was the first face to face meeting of the group since the pandemic. The weather was atrocious but eight members struggled through torrential rain and high winds to attend. A briefing paper was circulated to outline aspects of services to older people in the Vales which the group had been engaged with in the past three years.
The agenda for the meeting concentrated on two main areas-what should be the priorities in the coming year and how can the group make progress in achieving them.
- Draw on the experience of older people in the Vale; use the ideas of co-production; e.g. what is the experience of older people in hospital-do staff wear identity badges and how well do consultants and GPs link with each other?
- Communication between patients, GPs and hospital staff.
- Information and access to GPs hospital services
- Care of older people in the community, residential and in their own homes. More health visitors as part of multi-disciplinary team for older people in the community. Reform of social care and support for unpaid carers. Reform of social care in Wales. Funding of local authorities.
- Inequalities in health.
How do we tackle these issues?
- Respond to consultations.
- Engage with the local authority and Health Board.
- Advocate for older people’s issues
- Link in with Third Sector services for older people.
- Cooperation with other Forums in Wales.
- Participate with Community Health Council(to become Citizen’s Voice in March/April2023.
- Work with Older People’s Commissioner.
- Work with our LA Older People’s Champion.
Ron Walton. 18th January,2023