Vale 50+ Forum: Health and Equalities Group Report to Executive , July, 2019.
1. The group had meetings in May and July. Steve Allen , Chief Executive of Cardiff and Vale CHCs , talked about the forthcoming changes of title and remit. The new organisation will be called Citizens’ Voice, focus mainly on mobilising public opinion, have reduced powers of inspection, and be extended to social care. The advocacy service will be retained. Vaughan Gething has recently published a Bill to the Senedd to introduce the changes and also implement a Duty of Candour on NHS bodies in Wales. The Forum is pleased that our response to the earlier consultation has borne fruit. Also the Minister has announced which a review of social care in which the various ways of funding care in Wales will be explored.
Already he has increased the “cap” below which care home residents to not have to pay towards care to £50,000, more generous than in England and Scotland.
2. In July our speaker on social care services for older people in the Vale was unable to attend at the last minute . We were able to have a wide ranging discussion on current issues including the wellbeing hub at Cogan leisure Centre in Penarth, proposed closure of Sam Davis Ward in Barry Hospital, GP appointments and recent problems at the UHW A&E department.
3. Following the consultation on Thoracic Surgery in S.Wales, the single Thoracic Centre will be based in Swansea but the responses to the consultation have assured that there will be 24/7 thoracic surgery cover at the Trauma Centre in UHW. The responses to the consultation on Loneliness and Isolation have been published and a point we emphasised about avoiding duplication between Public Service Boards and Regional Partnership Boards has been noted and the Minister is keen to simplify structures in the medium term.
4. We continue to support public health screening programmes, falls prevention and
preventive approaches to health and social care. Also we remain concerned about the lack of progress in tackling health inequalities.
5. Our next meeting on the 10 th September will hear presentations from public health staff on falls prevention , diet and exercise in Committee Room 1, the Ci vic Offices, 2-4pm. In November we will welcome a speaker on the issues facing carers , particularly with older people with dementia.
Chair: Health and Equalities Group