WE’D all like to save money on bills and with the energy prices expected to soar following April’s price-cap hike we need cash-saving tips more than ever.
Lizzie Beesley, Head of Design at Magnet, said: “We have seen a noticeable increase in enquiries for sustainably sourced kitchens over the past year, with homeowners looking to incorporate energy efficient appliances in their kitchens more than ever before.
“Sustainability is a crucial part of our quality promise at Magnet. All of our kitchen cabinets are made from Forest Stewardship Council certified materials, making them as environmentally friendly as possible.”
Top 10 ways to save energy in the kitchen
- Choose Induction hobs – Induction hobs use magnets to transfer heat efficiently
- Turn off the electric vampires – appliances on standby still use energy
- Become an expert at dishwasher stacking – only use when full
- Boiling water taps – use energy to heat only the water you use
- Set dishwashers and washing machines to a lower temperature to reduce CO2 emissions
- Keep your freezer well-stocked, a full freezer uses less energy!
- Use your pans properly – choosing the right size and using the lids leads to faster, more efficient cooking
- Choose the right sized appliance for the size of your household – generally the larger the appliance the more energy it uses
- Check your seals – make sure your fridge and freezer seal properly
- Plan ahead – defrost frozen food naturally and allow plenty of time
Five energy-efficient appliances
Russell Hobbs Glass Kettle
Price: £38 (was £59)
Russell Hobbs 14L 600W Microwave in black
Compact and stylish, the Russell Hobbs 14L 600W Microwave is the perfect everyday microwave, ideal for cooking a variety of meals in minutes.
Simple and easy to use, you can tailor your cooking to suit your recipe, using the 6 power levels available for selection.
For added functionality, there’s also a defrost setting, which saves you time so you can cook meals straight from the freezer.
Tefal Virtuo 2000-Watt Iron in blue
Boasting a non-stick PTFE soleplate, the Tefal Virtuo 200-Watt Iron glides effortlessly over lots of different fabrics without snagging. It also has a continuous steam output of 24 grams per minute, so it quickly and easily removes annoying wrinkles from your clothes.
You won’t have to worry about any leakages either, as anti-drip technology stops random wet patches and this anti-scale model prevents limescale from building up too, keeping it in tip-top condition for longer.
Samsung Bespoke 70/30 Frost Free Fridge Freezer in stainless steel
This A-rated fridge freezer (on a scale of A to G) is super-efficient, and it’ll use less power while keeping your groceries fresh. Not only will you cut down on energy bills, but you’ll be doing your bit for the planet too.
Buy your Samsung Bespoke Fridge Freezer via AO.
WiZ Smart Plug
Manage your appliances and gadgets with this WiZ smart plug. Connect a lamp to it and create a lighting schedule, or use it with your kettle so the water will be freshly boiled as soon as you walk into the kitchen.
No more panicking when you get to work that you’ve left the iron on – just check the app and switch it off if you have.
Plus, it works with Alexa and Google Assistant, so you can control whatever’s plugged in with your voice. Best of all, you don’t need any extra kit or hubs, just your mobile phone and the WiZ app.
Buy your WiZ Smart Plugs via AO.