Carrot cake and banana bread seem to be very popular bakes at the moment. Enjoy this recipe which has all the delicious flavours of carrot cake, but made as a cookie.
Fancy whipping up a batch? Here’s how…
For the filling:
150g full-fat cream cheese
150g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
For the dough:
350g plain flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp mixed spice
1tsp ground cloves
150g unsalted butter, softened
100g soft light brown sugar
50g soft dark brown sugar
1 large egg
200g carrot, finely grated
For the décor:
Zest of 2 oranges and juice of 1 orange
4tbsp walnuts, finely chopped
1. Mix the cream cheese, three tablespoons of the icing sugar and the vanilla in a large bowl until combined, then pop in the freezer for 30–45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, measure your flour, baking powder and spices into another bowl. Beat your butter and both sugars together in a third bowl until creamy. Beat your egg into the butter mixture, then tip in your carrot. Mix together well. Tip your dry ingredients into the carrot mixture and mix slowly to form a dough.
3. Preheat oven to 200.C/Fan 180.C/Gas 6. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Weigh your dough and divide by 15 – this is how much each ball should weigh. Then flatten them slightly into thin discs using the palm of your hand.
4. Add a generous teaspoon of the cream cheese filling to the centre of each disc and wrap the dough around the filling to seal. Pinch the top and roll it back into a ball, making sure no filling leaks out. Pop the balls on to the tray and flatten slightly. Place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
5. Bake the cookies for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave on the tray for a few minutes to firm up, then transfer to a wire rack to cool further.
6. Sift the remaining icing sugar into a small bowl and mix with the orange juice – you’re aiming for a drizzling consistency. Flick the icing over the cookies and top with the orange zest and walnuts.