The Local Government Information Unit has today published its 2020 State of Local Government Finance report. It shows near universal disappointment amongst councils (97%) in the Government’s progress in delivering a sustainable funding system for local government.
The report also shows that:
- Confidence in the sustainability of local government finance remains very low, with three quarters (74%) of councils saying they do not feel confident.
- 1 in 10 councils (12%) say they are in danger of being unable to fulfil statutory duties this year
- Productivity in providing publicly funded social care has declined by over 9% since 1997.
- 98% of the senior decision-makers responding to the survey said they were disappointed in the Government’s progress in delivering a long-term social care strategy.
- Adult social care remains the top long-term pressure.