Cardiff Met 24 Barry RFC 21

Alyn Evans claimed a hat-trick of tries for Barry in a thoroughly entertaining game, much more attritional than their meeting a week earlier, but one where the result in doubt right until the end.

Barry enjoyed a 33-5 victory the previous week in a match full of free-flowing rugby. In contrast the return was a game dominated by the forwards. There was a lot of solid defence, and some crunching tackles, punctuated only occasionally by more flowing moves.

Six of the seven tries scored in the game came from short range, only the final try from Cardiff Met coming from a passing move with the ball being switched across the field through the backs.

Barry were left disappointed, well aware that this was a game they could have won. In the closing minutes they were camped in the Cardiff Met 22, the pressure on the home side only being lifted by a late costly penalty for backchat.

Head coach Liam Scott, despite the disappointment of defeat, was more than satisfied with the performances over the two matches against tough and skilled opposition.

“We set out what we wanted to do over the last two weeks, and it’s been great. The good thing is the disappointment in the boys, which shows how much they care,” said Scott. “It means we are on an upward curve.”

Matthew Hutchinson touched down after a tap penalty in the fourth minute to give Cardiff Met the lead, Harry Ottaway converting. Barry replied in the 19th minute, a catch and drive ending with Evans going over, Kyle Barros adding the extras.

Cardiff Met went ahead again after a 36th minute penalty lineout, Hutchinson going overwide out. But Barry drove over four minutes later, Evans claiming his second try. Barros converted to put the visitors 14-12 up at the interval.

Evans completed his hat-trick following a penalty lineout four minutes into the second half, Barros again on target.

But two tries midway through the half put Met back in front. Hutchinson went over following a tap penalty in the 57th minute, Ottaway converting. Three minutes later, after another penalty, quick hands saw the ball swung across the field for Will Perry to score in the corner.

Barry entertain St Peters in the Mallett Cup, their final pre-season fixture, on Saturday, followed by a two-week break before league season starts at Ynysybwl on November 13.

Source link

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.