What we’re doing
- building a temporary road
- moving utilities
- building a new bridge at High street
- building a new footbridge
- widening Taf Fechan viaduct
- building retaining walls
We will build a 688ft (210m) long wall along the A470 next to the Cefn Coed cemetery.
We will replace the High street bridge with a new structure so that we can widen the new road to the north and south.
We will strengthen and widen Taf Fechan viaduct to carry the new A465 road.
We will build a road to run east of the Taf Fechan viaduct for about half a mile (0.8 km). The road will be built in a series of cuttings up to 52ft (16m) and on embankments up to 44ft (13.5m) high.
- cleared vegetation ready for work to start
- moved footpaths and created access tracks
- ground investigation to inform the design of the new structures
- Summer 2021: we will build a temporary road (see orange lines on the map) to connect Vaynor road with Upper High street, and Station road (to connect High street with Maes y Garreg). We will build temporary roundabouts on the A465 to replace the existing junctions with Grawen lane and Lower Vaynor road.
- Summer 2021: we will build a new permanent road (see red line on the map) to connect Maes y Garreg with Job’s lane.
- Summer 2021 to autumn 2023: will build the new viaduct to carry the slip road and main road over the Taf Fawr.
- Summer to autumn 2021: we will move utilities at Grawen lane to allow us to build the new road.